QC Blog: Baby, it's cold outside!

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Baby, it's cold outside!

I just finished listening to a new Live From Daryl's House (Daryl Hall, of course) with Company of Thieves. It was very good. I'm being exposed to music my sons haven't even heard of. (Is that good or bad? Hmmm...)

It's freezing here in Pittsburgh. The kind of cold that is in the minus number category. When I told my kids I love cold weather they actually scoffed at me - and said "you hate the cold, you're always complaining about being cold." I told them there's a great difference between "being cold" and liking cold weather. Just because I always make sure I have a hat, scarf, and gloves for cold weather does not mean I hate the cold. I hate feeling cold in the house, where I should be warm, and not being able to get warm. But I love white, crispy snow, and the sound your boots make when you walk outside. I love when the sun shines on a cold day (like yesterday) and the contrast between the blue sky and the white snow. I love the vision of the steam your breath makes in cold weather. I love bundling up for a cold day, and feeling toasty warm when I walk outside, despite the freezing temperatures. It makes me feel alive and ever respectful of the weather gods, because you never know what to expect.

My mother's birthday was this past week on Jan.14. It was strange not to celebrate with her this year. Happy Birthday Mom.

I started a new quilt (yes I'm still working on the other ones) this week. It has large squares of Thimbleberries fabric that I bought as a kit. I'm adding a sashing in between and hopefully will be able to find a border that will accent it properly. I also am going to machine quilt another quilt for a friend as soon as I get the King Tut thread I ordered in the mail.

But the really important thing this week is that everyone has Black and Gold fever right now. The Steelers are playing in the AFC championship game tomorrow night against the Baltimore Ravens. And guess what? My sister, Patty, sent our Iceland photo of the three of us on top of the glacier with our Terrible Towels to the Steeler Digest, a paper that's printed every two weeks or so. They put our picture in this week!! What a perfect week to make the paper.

GO STEELERS!!!!

No comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP