QC Blog: What do I sew?

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What do I sew?



I found a site today called SewMamaSew.com and they asked folks to share information about their fabric stashes. After reading the blogs (all very interesting, I might add) I thought I'd take the plunge and answer the questions. I will admit up front, that I feel I have an embarrassment of riches, as far as my sewing space and stash are concerned.

What do you usually sew? Quilts. I did take a sewing class a long time ago when I was learning how to use my sewing machine. I made 2 skirts, a couple tops, and a jacket. And I made my youngest son a cute Dalmatian Halloween outfit when he was a baby. Other than that, I make quilts, usually for other people.

When you shop for fabric, what size cuts do you usually buy? (i.e. If you see something beautiful, but you don’t have a use for it right away, how much do you buy?) Well, I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I subscribe to the "One yard if you like it, two yards if you love it, and three yards if you can't live without it." The problem is, when I'm buying fabric, I love it all and usually buy three yards when I'm buying fabric. Believe it or not, these fabrics were from three different stores in Lancaster (left of photo, upper right, lower right). I didn't even realize how well they coordinated till I got home.
Do you buy on impulse or do you go out looking for something you need? Typically, I make a big trip to a great store about once or twice a year and go a little crazy buying fabric (like in Lancaster). When I'm there it's all impulse.

Are you a pre-washer? If you are, do you wash your fabric before you need it, or only when you’re ready to use it? I used to always wash it when I got home. These days, I have a table filled with fabric to be washed before I use it.

Do you iron it? After I take the fabric out of the dryer, it goes in my cupboard. I always iron my fabric before I cut it for a project.

How do you sort it? (color, print size, collection, etc.) I tend to love the way fabric stores put colors together, so it's in my cupboard according to the way I bought it (not very efficient, mind you), or in the kit it came with.


Do you have any special folding techniques? I didn't know there were special folding techniques. Now that I've read about some of them, I may just go and have a folding party.

How do you store your fabric? Some of it is on wire shelves, some in wire baskets, some in plastic containers, and some in the bag I still brought it home in from the store. I also use closet organizers that have drawers and keep fabric in there too.

What tips do you have for building up a well-rounded stash? I don't think I know the answer to that. Whenever I try to make something I always need to buy more fabric.

When do you say enough is enough? I think I'm there. Unless I'm somewhere special where I can't resist the fabric buys, I think I need to start producing more quilts in order to be able to buy more.

What are some of your favorite stash-busting projects? I don't think it's possible to bust your stash. Recently I tried to get rid of all my patriotic fabric by getting our Quilt Circle to make a Patriotic Patchwork quilt. The fabric multiplied. I now have more red, white and blue fabric than I started with.

Do you have a current favorite print in your stash? Let’s see it! I love fuchsia. I love this line of fabrics. I think it's called Razzle Dazzle.

What’s your definition of the perfect stash? (Consider sharing a picture or two of your stash & storage, or direct us to a pic on Flickr!) I love my stash. Being organized would make it perfect!!

No comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP